At An Airport Again

Boston Logan on my way to Corpus Christi. That's somewhere close to the Mexican border on the East Coast side of Texas.
I hear the lows are mid sixties with mid eighties on the high side. I do not know that I am exactly sad of leaving Boston's cold weather behind. This will be the closer I will get to Costa Rican humidity in a long time.

I am heading out to a hurricane response program as a part of their volunteer force. All Hands and Hearts is the name of the organization. The name sounds quite accurate to me as those are exactly the main things I am bringing. My bag is an imaginably unsuitable combination of shorts and tank-tops. The only treasure I bear are a pair of working boots and a borrowed fleece cover for who knows what kind of surface situation on which I will be laying for overnight bed rest. I do not think I need to know much more other than this.

Harvey hit Texas back in August through September 2017 as a hurricane 4. Aside from Katrina, Harvey has been the costliest hurricane to have impacted the U.S., which also means 13 million people were affected by it.

All of the data I share above were facts I ignored until now that I am waiting for my plane to start boarding. I am not headed to Texas for almost 3 weeks based on any of this. All it took was to think "so, it's 2018 and people are still responding?" There must be a reason why this program is active. For as much as I hate to say goodbye to my wife again after visiting with her cozy presence for a little while, the calling to come help out down there is bigger than the plans I have laid out for myself.

One of the things I disliked about my trip to India was not having been able to find a volunteer program that did not charge me expensive fees to join. Tourism is my work field, not my ideal vacation. The main reason why I love Kenya so much is having gotten the chance to volunteer there. I loved interacting with people, not just having visited as a tourist. Sadly, however, the news I have been hearing from my friends in Kenya now are less than hopeful lately. I hope to get to that eventually.

I am a traveller this far. The clock is ticking on that privilege and bankruptcy is settling, instead. Yet, it has all been more than worth it. What will I find in Texas? Group B is boarding. Mine is next and I guess I will have a better idea at the end of this flight. I will keep you posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entrevista a Jorge Alfaro de Yale University sobre COVID-19

¿No leyó la noticia que hackearon?

Costa Rica no es la que yo pensaba - Escrito incompleto

An Image of My Mother

3r aniversario de nuestra primera boda

Day 3 - Tornado Cleanup

Un vistazo al ayahuasca - 4 segundos

Cuando muere la vida como la conocía

Alguien tiene que hacerlo

Bretear en comunidad