An Image of My Mother

I remember crying
More than once
To my wife
On the phone

Why does it need to be this hard?
I asked her
Being the daughter to a woman with a right
To be more than "just a mother"
To be more than
Mother

Pack my bags,
Take 3 buses
Fly my way to her.
I need nothing
To hold me

--

I saw my mom taking her first selfie yesterday
She sat next to me on a cushion by a man who played rock-reggae
"Take a picture," we told my stepdad.
The love I feel of seeing her live is joy.


We must have moved around 150+ pounds of clothing this week. We turned drawers from full exhaustion into void and energy. My mom's laughter is transforming.

I know many people love their mothers.
My story has been different.
Growing up, I was deprived of the energy to love her.
Dad made sure of it.


Now I see a warrior. The main survivor of the violence circle that was my upbringing.
She does not dance anymore, she says as she polishes the dust off her dancing shoes. Her hands dance every day as she gestures like a director who is driving an opera.

Witty, honest, humorous...
My mom has been harsh when she need be.

I am careful around her
- that can only last as long as I see her

50 pairs of shoes in her closet
30 in boxes
"Out to goodwill," I tell her
Is she sorry I write - just like her?

Stacks of paper in her office
How many dreams has she written on these?
Memories
I fear
Are her worst anger

"Venga, Ma," I tell her
"No!," she says
No point in trying to get her in a jacuzzi
No to me, no to rules, no to patriarchy

I know she is history in the making
Am I aware enough to support her?

I translate her books
Try not to stay too far behind her
I can't hold her

Have you ever seen horses?
Really seen them.

It's their force making them beautiful as they rummage on pasture
It's the energy they shed as soon as you see them
It's the caution behind their approach,
The willingness to give blindly.
The heart - reserved deep under

A flick of an image, I give you.
The million ways in which she makes up for a beautiful and complicated character that one.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entrevista a Jorge Alfaro de Yale University sobre COVID-19

¿No leyó la noticia que hackearon?

Costa Rica no es la que yo pensaba - Escrito incompleto

3r aniversario de nuestra primera boda

Day 3 - Tornado Cleanup

Un vistazo al ayahuasca - 4 segundos

Cuando muere la vida como la conocía

Alguien tiene que hacerlo

Bretear en comunidad